End-user computing (EUC) applications such as Microsoft Excel and Access have been an essential part of many operations in the financial-services industry, allowing end users to manage, control, and manipulate data quickly and efficiently. These applications’ features make end-user computing appealing and critical to business structures, but also pose various challenges and risks, including:
Large financial institutions depend on many thousands of EUC applications, and more than a trillion dollars’ worth of computations are done using Excel each year. Any application that leaves system-based processes in the hands of an average user poses huge risks in key functional areas such as:
- Month-end processes and adjustments: Converting local book balances to U.S. GAAP, tax adjustments, suspense clearing, custody fees, and P&L attributions
- Accounting: Recording business expenses, rewards, purchase orders, and interest payments
- Analytics: Analyzing profitability, FINRA, Basel, cost of credit, etc.
- Accrued expense adjustments: Handling fee computations, invoicing, etc.
- Regulatory reporting: Documenting 10K/10Q, FFIEC, FRY, liquidity updates, 4G/5G reporting, LCR, NSFR, borrowing capacity, and cashflow
- Taxation: Managing sales tax estimation, 1042 tax reporting of taxable corporate action events, and withholding totals
Most of the existing solutions to handle these risks lack the ability for enterprise-scale process orchestration. They also lack the necessary monitoring, auditing, security, access and version control, and extensive integration capabilities, and are unable to provide an open system to extend product functionality. These factors, along with the urgency to close the month-end or period-end accounting books, result in businesses managing and manipulating their data in nontechnical or non-SDLC ways.
The challenges enterprises need to solve
- Reduce substantial dependence on desktop-based business apps
- Prevent risks, errors, and fraud due to manual processes
- Ensure regulatory compliance with rapidly changing standards
- Reduce data redundancy due to data residing in several desktops and in several forms
Wipro’s EUC Remediation framework
Wipro’s EUC Remediation framework enables financial companies to solve their operational challenges with solutions that remediate high-risk EUCs while meeting compliance standards. Our strategic interventions deliver comprehensive transformations of how companies govern, manage, prevent, and eliminate EUC risks and inefficiencies. This framework targets four primary areas: governance, people, process, and technology.
The framework itself is built on the following components:
- Advisory expertise: Wipro provides transformation and process simplification consulting services
- EUC automation platform: A proven workhorse for EUC remediation
- Partnership with Appian: IP development and joint go-to-market solutions
- Ability to address buyer needs across the organization – CRO, CDO, CIO
EUC Automation Platform
Central to Wipro’s EUC Remediation framework is an automation platform built on Appian, one of the industry’s leading low-code automation solutions. The platform provides a 100% configurable approach to EUC remediation. With the platform in place, financial services institutions can rapidly move from manual processes based on email and Excel to an open-architecture-based model that combines the capabilities of Appian with a Java-based extract, transform, load (ETL) component.
The EUC platform is also extensible and can be enhanced or customized to meet specific requirements leveraging Appian’s out-of-the-box capabilities.
The platform enables clients to automate the following operations:
- Input and output integration: By integrating directly with upstream and downstream systems, the platform enables data to be sourced without human intervention, ensuring data integrity.
- User access management: Integration with a corporate LDAP ensures role/group-based access to EUCs.
- Workflow: Each EUC is unique in nature and has its own process flow. A dynamic workflow module provides the ability to configure the EUC process flow without any development effort.
- ETL processes: Various file types can be used for input, and outputs can be in many formats required by upstream systems
- Compliance – Ensure adherence to regulatory requirements
The platform enables companies to leverage existing Excel-based working file templates, ensuring that operations teams have the flexibility to make changes while the system remains governed and controlled per IT standard processes. As the platform shifts development tasks from custom coding for each EUC to a completely configuration-driven automation, production runs are simplified through faster change management.
Key benefits of Wipro’s EUC Remediation framework
- 100% configurable no code development
- 30-50% faster than traditional approaches for remediating EUCs
- 30-40% reduced SME time during the remediation process
- Up to 60% reduction in time to add or modify existing EUCs
Read more about our success story for a global leader in banking here.